The original station (circa 1896) was moved to the campus of the University of New Hampshire in 1911. The building was reborn as the home of the beloved UNH Dairy Bar since rail service through the Boston and Maine Railroad halted in the mid 1960's. Re-establishment of rail service in 2001 called for updating the facility while honoring and preserving the building's historical character. The success of this project is due to the creative collaboration of many agencies, organizations and individuals. The project was honored with the Preservation Achievement Award in 2009 from the New Hampshire Preservation Alliance.
UNH is committed to sustainability and all work was done to meet the University's high standards for energy performance.
The Transit Center reinforces the sense of community between the residents of Durham and the students and staff of the University.
The restaurant provides a menu focused on local foods and sustainable operations, including compostable "to go" containers.
Federal, state and local grants helped to fund the project, along with matching grants from the University.
Rail service was re-established in 2001 between Portland, Maine and Boston, Massachusetts.